Restaurant Review: Supper

"Supper."  The word conjures up images of Little House on the Prairie griddle cakes being shallow-fried in a cast iron pot with the approximate weight of a large child.  That is not, however, what you get at this trendy Italian joint situated in Alphabet City; instead, you get neo-classical dishes cooked to perfection, with bold flavors permeating the menu.  That's not to say that some of the waitresses don't resemble Laura Ingalls Wilder.  Just kidding!

One of the true joys about this restaurant was that it wasn't even my first choice on that fateful day.  My parents had just come to visit (read: spoil) me, and I wanted to take them to Gaia Italian Cafe, a diner about which I will blog (read: destroy with napalm) in a future post.  Fortunately for us, Gaia would not accept us due to our skin color (more jokes), and I had to quickly Yelp an alternative.  Supper was close and had gotten good ratings, so off we went, the flavor of sour grapes still fresh in our mouths.

At Supper, we stayed on the straight and narrow for the most part, choosing black kale panzanella as an appy and roasted chicken for dinner.  But then, I spotted something wild and crazy, and it wasn't a kid from Nickelodeon (I'm definitely dating myself with that joke).  What I had found was their daily risotto named Amarone, which the waitress explained was dry red wine risotto.  Did we dare to dream the dream of  Bacchus?  We dared.  While the panzanella and roasted chicken were well-prepared, they paled in comparison to the Amarone.  The decidedly unappetizing purple color could not offset the perfect balance of red wine tanginess and traditional risotto creaminess.  This dish alone elevated Supper from "just another well-run joint" to "if you don't go here you probably hate babies, unicorns, and happiness" status.

Looks like mud; tastes like love.

Verdict: 4 out of 5 babies riding unicorns

No comments:

Post a Comment